Secondary Schools & Students
Adelaide Central School of Art connects secondary school students and teachers with some of the best contemporary arts professionals in South Australia. We offer a range of learning experiences for students and teachers including:
- 6-week Short Courses designed for teenagers delivered after school during the term
- Intensive 1 – 3 day courses for teenagers during Janurary Summer and July Winter School Holidays
- Tailored workshops to suit secondary school curriculums, delivered in Schools or at our Glenside Campus.
- Vanguard Program for senior secondary school students who wish to undertake tertiary visual arts education as part of their SACE studies.
- Professional learning and development opportunities for teachers including workshops, short courses and masterclasses (certificates of attendance can be provided)
Short Courses for Teens
Unleash your creative skills with Short Courses designed specifically for teensagers aged 13 – 17 years old.
We offer dynamic, 6-week Teen Short Courses each term of the academic year. Each course is designed with a different focus and skill level in mind, so that students can choose which course and level best suits them. Led by experienced educators who are passionate about sharing their love of art, students are encouraged to explore new techniques in a supportive and inspiring environment.
Our Teen Short Courses focus on the development of technical skills in areas such as:
- Digital drawing
- Colour theory
- Character design
- Contemporary art
Please be aware that courses often sell out quickly. To be notified as soon as our Short Course Program is released please sign up to our mailing list. We also offer teen intensives as part of our Summer School and Winter School programs, which are also released on our Short Courses page.
‘Fantastic choice of activities, with a great mix of new, less common skills and learning upon older, more common skills. Teachers were fantastic at providing new information and catering to multiple ranges of skill level. 10/10, will do again.’
2022 Teen Course Student
We offer tailor-made workshops designed specifically for secondary students and class groups.
Delivered in schools, or on our award-winning campus, these workshops focus on the development of skills in the fundamental practices of drawing, painting, and sculpture, whilst challenging participants to explore different ways of thinking, through the visual arts.
Please note: We can host class groups of up to 12 students between 9 am – 3 pm at our Glenside Campus most weekdays. Hosting larger class groups is subject to studio availability, if studios are unavailable we are happy to work with you to deliver a workshop at your school 🙂
‘The environment, lecturers and even the students are all so nice, and surprisingly like-minded, its like everyone has something in common. The environment and the lecturers are so chill and so its easy to feel relaxed and comfortable drawing/painting/etc.’
2021 Teen Course Student
The Vanguard Program gives senior secondary students a chance to sample a tertiary visual arts education while completing their SACE studies. Suitable for students open to a multi-generational independent learning environment.
We recommend students seek guidance from their school and support network before applying.
If students wish to undertake one, or up to two, of the units of Drawing 1.1, Drawing 1.2, Sculpture 1, or Painting 1, they will gain SACE Credit (10 credits per course) at Stage 1 or Stage 2, and these courses are then able to contribute to the calculation of an ATAR. Students can enrol in a maximum of one unit per semester while completing Year 11 or 12.
- Nationally recognised artist-lecturers
- Intensive studio-based teaching in small classes
- Experience the art school campus and community
- Access ACSA services such as the library, studios and workshop
- Extend your visual arts skills
- Complete a unit for which you can gain credit within a Bachelor of Visual Art degree at ACSA.
Contact Student Liaison Officer Andrew Herpich at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out more.
Applications for Semester 2 2023 are now open! Please complete your online application by clicking on the link below.
The application process includes the following steps:
- The online application is to be completed by the applicant.
- Once the application form has been submitted, a consent form is sent to the applicant’s nominated parent/guardian and an approval form to the nominated school contact.
- Once all forms have been submitted, the applicant and parents/guardians are invited to attend a short interview on campus.
- The nominated school contact is contacted by phone as part of the application assessment.
- The applicant is notified of the outcome of their application.
Opportunities for Teachers
Adelaide Central School of Art offers a wide range of opportunities for Secondary School Teachers.
Our Short Courses can be undertaken as Professional Development with certificates provided upon completion. This makes it easy for you to continue your own education, enhancing your skills and practical knowledge. Our courses are designed to meet your individual needs and help you grow as an educator.
In addition to our short courses, we also host the annual VAESA conference at our award-winning Glenside Campus. This conference provides a platform for you to connect with other educators, share ideas, and learn about new approaches to teaching art.
Our exhibitions are open to the public, and we welcome teachers and their classes to book a free tour of Adelaide Central Gallery and our Teaching and Studio Building. This is a great way for you and your students to experience contemporary art and engage with local visual artists.